re

Khanh the Killjoy

Unbroken (Ruined, #2)

Unbroken (Ruined, #2) - Paula Morris The sequel to Ruined. A year has passed since the events in Ruined, and Rebecca is back in New York City living with her dad, going to school, and hanging out with her BFF Ling. Rebecca's dad has business in New Orleans, so he plans to rent a house there and would like Rebecca and Ling to join him during his business trip, which coincides with their spring break. It's been awhile since Rebecca has seen Anton, and it feels like their relationship has cooled off, since they hardly see each other, and Rebecca is rather reluctant to return to New Orleans with Ling in tow, considering what happened to her there last year. As she finds out about the trip, Rebecca encounters a Frank, a ghost who begs her to return to New Orleans to help him, or he will spend eternity as a lost soul.Rebecca and Ling returns to New Orleans and helps out by volunteering to clear up trash and debris from old neighborhoods. She has a lukewarm reunion with Anton and finds out that nutjob Toby from the previous book is trying to destroy her, while trying to solve the mystery of Frank and the necklace.First, the positive. I had doubts about Ling tagging along, but I liked her a lot. She's practical, unspoiled, not whiny, and is an excellent companion to the mess that is Rebecca's life. The descriptions of New Orleans are excellent. This time around, we get more of a social commentary feel of New Orleans as opposed to the previous book's more atmospheric feel. There is a more realistic description of the poorer neighborhoods, the damage that still remains post-Katrina, and the social divide between classes that still exists between the rich and the poor, those who remain vs. newcomers.I only gave this book three stars because there is just too much going on. The mystery is rather tangled and poorly solved, the ghost is annoying, and I never felt like he was a fleshed-out character (no pun intended). None of the new ghosts are that great, to be honest. At times, the social commentary threatens to overshadow the plot of the book, and the relationship between Anton and Rebecca was almost nonexistent besides some awkward moments and a rather forced declaration of love. It was a good, quick read, but I don't think this is a great book.