re

Khanh the Killjoy

Shades of London (2) - Ripper 2

The Madness Underneath - Maureen Johnson 352 pages. About 200 pages too long as far as relevant content goes.Rory is recovering from her injury in the previous book, and spends much of her time moping around in Bristol with her parents. She then gets permission to go back to Wexford, where she spends more time moping around, tentatively and reluctantly embracing her new role as a new Terminus (but not really doing much about it or with her new powers). Actually, she spends much of the book doing nothing BUT moping. This isn't Shades of London, Book 2, it's Shades of London, Book 1.5, Rory moping, and not much else.She's distracted in school, pretending to study but not really and massively falling behind and is horribly shocked and in denial that she is in danger of flunking out of school. She sees a new therapist, and does something incredibly stupid. Honestly, it's the very definition of TSTL, I just about threw my Nook across the room when I read what she was going to do. Man oh man, I am so sick of Rory in this book.Due to the plot and mystery being so weak there might as well not have been one, and the characters being completely unmemorable, I can't in all good conscience give this book a good review. In the previous book, there was at least some semblance of character creation, there was none here, it was just bland, bland, bland.