re

Khanh the Killjoy

The Originals

The Originals - Cat Patrick Who among us hasn't wished at one time or another that they had clones? I know I did. There would be so much more time in the day, because we'd share tasks, share the tedium of going to work, leaving the rest of the clones more time to relax because there'd be two or more people doing the task of one. Which then leaves behind the question of fairness, who would do the pleasant tasks, who would do the unpleasant ones, how would things be allocated? And that's not to mention the mess of the love life...I greatly enjoyed this YA sci-fi, because it addresses my secret fantasy of having clones in a much more entertaining and realistic manner than I could have imagined it on my own. Lizzie, Ella, and Betsey are clones who appear to be triplets until their scientist mother is exposed; from then on, they and their mother have been on the run, living as a single mom and her daughter, with the triplets taking turn living in the outside world. Each twin, you could say, works a shift. In the beginning, Lizzie takes the first shift, going to school in the morning, while Ella goes to afternoon classes, and Betsey does the extracurricular college class in the evening.They must blend in as a single person, and the beginning was quite funny, with the three fighting over their hair when Lizzie decides to straighten it (a long and arduous task) in the morning, meaning the other two have to take hours doing their own hair when it is their turn to take over for their part of the day, as well. I laughed during that scene; I hate doing my hair and I can imagine how angry I would be if I were forced into doing my hair for one person's vanity.The dynamics between the sisters are great; they are clones, but they each have their own personality, and while they do fight, they're sisters above all, and they love and look out for each other. The three understand the importance of their secrecy, but they support each other when each decides to rebel, and they work together effectively. There are no huge fights or backstabbing, they are truly a team.I loved how they make the relationships work. I understood the pain of one as they're forced to date only one person, for the sake of appearing to be one person. When Ella and Lizzie both fall for boys, their mother picks only one of them for the clones to date, and it breaks the heart of the other. It is a good portrayal of wanting something you want, but can't have, and knowing it hurts the person you like only further rubs salt into the wound.Lizzie's love interest is a nice, likeable guy; there are no truly bad characters in their school life who becomes a caricature or a stereotype of a high school character. Despite their strange life, they have a normal, relatively peaceful high school existence, and I appreciate that the author didn't try to incorporate more drama into what's already a stress-filled existence.The mystery and major secret in the book was easy to figure out, even for me, who struggle with cozy Agatha-Christie type whodunnits. I also felt the ending was rushed, and things just tied together very neatly, without much sense. Overall, however, this book was well-written; a quick, fast read, and with no pretense for anything higher than it is. Although neither high literature nor especially complex, this was a thoroughly enjoyable quick read.