re

Khanh the Killjoy

The Curse of the Pharaohs

The Curse of the Pharaohs - Elizabeth Peters This book picks up a few years after the first; by now, Amelia and her husband have been married for several years and have a young child. Their mutual love for their son has prevented them from returning to Egypt for further excavations, since they are concerned about his health. Ultimately, a young widow of a fellow explorer offers them a chance they cannot resist, and Amelia and Emerson find themselves back in Egypt.I enjoyed the first book in the series, but if the successive books in this set of mysteries goes on in this way, I have no interest in continuing. It's more or less a cottage mystery, set in Egypt. They are meant to be a light read, but good god, I find Emerson so fucking annoying. Yeah, I know he's hotheaded and devoted to his work, but does he really need to be screaming, ranting, and raving every other sentence he utters? The first book was enjoyable and Emerson did not grate on me as much, since it was the introduction of a character and so one could give him some room for levity. I had hoped that marriage and Amelia's calmer voice has instilled some rationality into her husband. Nope. He's still as grating and annoying as usual. The mystery was all right, if rather forgettable, with your usual set of characters: the handsome suitor, the bluff and genial foreigner, the mysterious beauty, the annoying hangers-on. The entire book was not memorable; I don't think I can distinguish between the mystery in this book and the previous one a day after reading it, the plot was too forgettable. I find myself not too compelled to read the next books.