re

Khanh the Killjoy

Shards and Ashes

Shards and Ashes - Kami Garcia, Margaret Stohl, Melissa Marr, Carrie Ryan, Veronica Roth, Nancy Holder, Rachel Caine, Beth Revis, Kelley Armstrong It wasn't terrible, but I wouldn't read any of these authors again had I first read their work in this anthology. For the most part, the stories here needed more background to work, and a couple just made absolutely no sense in the context of a post-apocalyptic world.For example, the first story, The Hearkeners, had me scratching my head. Ok, so you have a world in which you have to wear gas masks to protect against some attacks that aren't really defined, by people whose agendas I don't quite understand, and there are people employed by the government and are in need by the general populace because they can RECORD A DEATH SONG? PLAY A LOT OF INSTRUMENTS THAT DESCRIBES A PERSON'S LIFE? What the hell? How is that useful in any way, much less in a chaotic, messed-up world? It's like death jewelry, ok, you can pay to make your beloved's ashes into a diamond ring. Creepy, but to each his own, right? But how is that of any use whatsoever besides as a keepsake? Why are these Hearkeners so fucking special when as far as I can tell in the story, all they do it give you a keepsake of the one you loved and lost? A camera would be more useful.Sadly, as confusing as it is, the first story was one of the more clearly and well-written ones, based on writing skill alone. The other one I remember enjoying is by Kelley Armstrong, the others are thoroughly confusing and forgettable.