re

Khanh the Killjoy

Eona: The Last Dragoneye - Alison Goodman "You have seen Lady Eona’s power and resolve," he said harshly. "Be thankful that you have also witnessed her compassion and restraint."I'm sure I'm not the only one who cheered after reading that.I gave up on Eon: Dragoneye Reborn when I first attempted to read it because the beginning moved like molasses. I just wanted some action already, geez. Well, I got what I wanted in this book, a bit too much of it at times. Eona was nonstop action from the first page. This is not one of those series where you can plunge in with the second book and there will be some nice characters having a conversation about previous events and then BAM, you're all caught up within 3 pages and ready for more. Nope. The reader truly has to know what the heck went on in the first book or risk becoming hopelessly lost.After the events in the first book, Eona is on the run with the resistance. Ryko is fatally injured, Dela is heartbroken, and Eona is feeling the sorrow of all the dragons as they mourn their dead. Lord Ido tried and failed to rebel against Lord Sethon and is now being imprisoned and tortured somewhere. The Pearl Emperor, Kygo, is on the run with his branch of the resistance, and they haven't a clue where he is. Oh, and everyone is out searching for Lord Eon, who may or may not be a woman or possibly an eunuch, and Dela, who is a man, or a woman. Yep. It's a mess and a half.Eona is trying to decipher the mystery of the dragons with the help of Dela's translations; she knows she has had two female dragoneye ancestors, Charra, and the traitor Kinra. She is burdened with a mess of secrets that grow heavier as the book goes on. Much of the book is about concealment. Nobody really trusts anyone, and as a result, there's miscommunication and distrust even among the allies to the very end of the book.In contrast to the previous book, Eona had a lot more character involvement. The previous book didn't really give us a glimpse of many personalities, since we were never really given a chance to get close to many of the characters. In this book, from the first, we are forced into close quarters with many characters, and as such, personalities are made clearer. A lot of characters made me pretty angry at how unreasonable they are, for example, those close to Eona, whom she healed. They know her, she did it to save them. They believe in her, otherwise they wouldn't be on her side, and yet they're upset because she has the power to compel them? I don't know about you, but if I were forced to be maimed my entire life or given to compulsion for a few moments, I'd choose the latter. Ingrates.Ryko was so annoying to me in this book, but the relationship between him and Dela was so sweet, albeit frustrating at times. They're of the I-love-you-but-I'm-no-good-for-you school, but at least their love is straightforward, unlike the major players in this book.Eona frustrated me at times, but then again, I'm a bloodthirsty little thing. I personally am of the "kill one to save many" school. Eona is not. She is powerful, she has destructive powers as well as healing ones, and each has its disadvantages. She is so reluctant to use her powers sometimes, and so distrusting of herself. Again, I think this is the fault of me, the reader, and not inherent of the character. Eona does need to learn to grow into herself and what she is comfortable with, after all.I felt the mystery involving Kinra was well done, though so, so very dragged out. The clues were given in a believable manner, spaced out so that it doesn't seem like clue upon clue is forced upon us. The concept of the diary is a good one; the other book, the Black Folio and the accompanying Dillon frustrated me to no end. How hard can it be to wrestle a stupid cursed book from a 12-year old boy? Ugh. I've wrestled with my sister for a prized possession before. It's not easy, but it's definitely doable (especially with fingernails).The love triangle is very well done. I couldn't decide who to root for, and I was torn between both men even as the book reaches its final pages. Both men, Lord Ido, and the Emperor Kygo, are such complex and flawed characters. They're both imperfect, they both love Eona in their own way, and they both seek power for different purposes, and I honestly could not tell whose heart truly loved Eona for who she is. I liked Ido a lot more in this book. He seems to be more in tune to Eona and more understanding of Eona's needs, in contrast to Kygo, who is compelled to keep his nation and people foremost in his mind, despite what his heart might be telling him. We are kept guessing throughout the novel; I've rarely been so torn between two characters. I hated Lord Ido in the first book, but my feelings for him in this book changed 180 degrees.In summary: action-packed adventure, heroine who grows into herself, awesome love triangle, delicious bad boy, mystery that kept me guessing til the very end = EPIC BOOK.