re

Khanh the Killjoy

Beauty and the Blacksmith - Tessa Dare This novella is cavity-inducingly sweet, cutesy, and completely unrealistic even for a fluffy little Regency romance novella. I can't believe I paid for this drivel. The plot: the beautiful, thoughtful, so utterly charming and perfect Diana is madly infatuated with the village's blacksmith. Aaron knows he is completely unsuited to the beautiful, thoughtful, so utterly charming and perfect Diana, and tries to resist her for all of 2.3 seconds.This novella is completely unrealistic, I can't even buy it even as a thinly veiled romance plot. Class differences aside (and at that time in history, they really freaking matter), Aaron seems to be a genuinely nice, competent, caring guy; after his initial stages of passion fades, I can not see them settling into a prolonged happily-ever-after after they get their happily-ever-after ending in the novella. Simply put, Diana is nice, sweet, and all that, but she is seemingly incompetent at anything but coming up with new ways to need a blacksmith's services, sneaking out of the house to see Aaron, and lying to her family.The scene involving Diana, a fire, and the eel (which was admittedly pretty funny) was but a taste of what is to come after their marriage. The poor chit can't even set a fire, shrieks at the sight of an eel...how is she going to last 5 minutes as a wife of a blacksmith, after having led the life of an gently-born invalid (she had asthma). Much less believable is how quickly her mother assents to the marriage, after having had lifelong aspirations for her daughter to marry into nobility.And Mr. Evermoore...I'm just speechless. As a comedic device, it could work. As a major plot device...a rat, really?