re

Khanh the Killjoy

The Gathering - Kelley Armstrong The last 1/4 of the book...I don't even know where to start.I don't know about you, but I'm not too fond of writing essays, and I was pretty terrible at it in grade school. I tend to BS my way through them then, I just ramble and make random, dramatic statements and reactions and not much actual facts until the very last part of my paper, where I realize, OH SHIT, I only have 250 words left, and I need to make a point!!!!!! Then I cram in all the facts I can and hope that my essay/paper ends up somewhat coherent. This is what it feels like Ms. Armstrong did for the ending. She fleshed out the first 3/4 of the book because she didn't have an idea of where she wants to go, then the hastily-thrown-together-before-deadline ending makes no sense.I'm sorry, is there an actual plot to this book? Ok, it's the first book in the series, and there needs to be introductions made, but I swear the first 2/3rds of the book was an introduction to Maya, her family, and her adopted past, her friend Serena's tragic accident, her mixed feelings and friendship with Daniel, and her burgeoning romance with the school poseu---I mean Rafe. Too much background. Way, way too much background, and not enough flesh or plot. I know more than I need to about how wonderful her parents are, the mean-spiritedness of bad-girl Sam, and the wonderful, pretty, scenic little town (and I mean little) owned by the St. Cloud corporation and all the hush-hush that goes on surrounding the lab. 75% through the book and I still had no idea what the plot is supposed to be.We hear the word "skinwalker" like twice in the first half. One by a crazy lazy who pretty much spitefully shouts it at Maya while she's about to get a tattoo. I really have no idea what this series wants to be.