re

Khanh the Killjoy

The Girl Who Came Home: A Titanic Novel - Hazel Gaynor This book suffers from a short attention span. It is supposed to be the story of Maggie, a young Irish woman in 1912, about to travel on the ill-fated Titanic; simultaneously, it incorporates the story of Grace, her granddaughter in 1982. As far as I can tell, there is not much point to incorporating Grace into the story; Grace's father dies and she is having trouble moving on, Maggie's story helps her get off her ass, to be a little crass, but I really don't see the point of having Grace in the story besides having the reader catch up with Maggie 70 years later.Obviously, the story is about the Titanic. I've read my fair share of books about the Titanic, most of it from the POV of passengers in first class. This book offers a change in that the POV is from those in third class and a steward serving the third class cabins. The main character, Maggie, is a 17-year old woman leaving her sweetheart behind in Ireland to travel to a new life in America, along with 13 others in her little village. The book mainly describes her experiences and bewilderment on board the Titanic and her amazement even at the little things, since she has been so sheltered her entire life.I enjoyed the description of life in third class, but that was one of the few things I found enjoyable about this book. I got this book for free on Kindle, so I don't know if it is a formatting problem, but a good half of the book was in italics. Usually, the italics don't bother me; they delineate flashbacks. Now, this is a problem because HALF THE BOOK WAS IN ITALICS. Enough with the flashbacks of flashbacks of flashbacks already. The book takes place in 1912 and in 1982. There were flashbacks in 1912. There were flachbacks of 1982. There were multiple points of view, from a random sister of someone who happened to be the mother of someone else on the Titanic to a random aunt traveling along with them.I have no problems with flashbacks. I love getting more insight and details into the main characters' lives and thoughts. My main problem with the flashbacks in this book was that there were too many of them; I was not exaggerating when I say they literally take up half the novel. This would not be a problem if not for the fact that most of them were irrelevant and did not much contribute to the storyline. It's like in the middle of Maggie's tale, sudenly we get a glimpse of the life of a random fellow traveler who didn't really contribute anything and so who the hell cares?Furthermore, the author seriously needs a grammar checker. She also really needs to learn the use of a comma. Useful little thing, that.