re

Khanh the Killjoy

Dusk with a Dangerous Duke - Alexandra Hawkins The story is an old and overdone one, ultimately in these types of books, it is the author's writing and creation of truly memorable characters and plots that elevates a tired old storyline into a remarkable one worth reading. Unfortunately, this book is not one of them.The Duke of Huntsley (Hunter) has been engaged to Lady Grace since she was an infant of two and he but a boy of 10. The last memory Hunter had of Grace was of holding her and her biting him when he dropped her, so not a good beginning for either of them. Both children were orphaned, and Hunter spends the next 19 years rutting his way around the ton with his friends, the (mostly happily married) Lords of Vice. Finally, when time's almost up (he has to marry by a certain day or surrender his fortune to a much hated cousin) he decides to come fetch his bride, and as she has been left mouldering in the countryside while he has his fun, Grace is most unhappy with his Lordship.Grace also has to get married by age 21 or else her inheritance will revert to a scheming, evil uncle. Hunter finds his bride in town, is smitten by her beauty, and is as determined to marry her as she is to cry off the engagement to marry someone else before her birthday.Do I really need to summarize more? Can this get any more trite?The plot is old and often used, the hero and heroine both equally unremarkable, he is a rake and she is a spirited beauty. There's all sorts of sinister characters behind the scenes like the scheming uncle and the plotting cousin, and your usual cast of lovable friends and reformed rakes and their wives rooting for the main couple and helping them behind the scenes. They help Hunter do something to Grace that I am not happy with at all. It turned Hunter from an usual rake to a complete asshole in my eyes, and lowered this book from an average book to one I would not recommend.An altogether forgettable Regency.