re

Khanh the Killjoy

Peril at Somner House: A Mystery Featuring Daphne du Maurier (Daphne Du Maurier Mysteries) - Joanna Challis The second book in an imagined series of Daphne Du Maurier's youth. I love Daphne Du Maurier's writing, and the love she obvious has for the Cornwall region. So far in this series, I feel that Joanna Challis does an excellent job at capturing the atmosphere that a young Daphne must have encountered that evolved her into the writer that she became. Her struggles as a fledgling writer are described, along with the mystery, in a way that is by no means obtrusive.The fun thing about this mystery is that if one is a lover of other Daphne du Maurier books, one can easily see the (imagined) characters and how they must have panned out and developed into characters in a later novel. I see myself going, oh! There's young Max. Oh, she must be the inspiration for "me." As a book lover, it is a fun read.The mystery plot is compelling, but secondary to the characters and their development. It is a well-written plot, the developments are believable, and it makes for a lovely cozy little read on a rainy day.