re

Khanh the Killjoy

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone  - J.K. Rowling Poison Study - Maria V. Snyder A Test Of Wills  - Charles Todd And Only to Deceive - Tasha Alexander In the Woods  - Tana French Succubus Blues  - Richelle Mead

30 book challenge, day 3: AKA, Khanh procrastinating from writing her next review

Was there ever a doubt that this would make it to my all-time favorite list? I have always loved magic and fantasy, but this series solidified my love into an all-time book obsession. I didn't follow this series from the beginning, I started right before book 3 was released...and the floodgates opened.

I absolutely loved this series. I'll admit book 2 wasn't as good, and book 3 was rather a mess, but this is one of the series that I view through rose-tinted glasses because as problematic as the plot can be, my love for the characters (and one of my few book boyfriends, Valek) is so overwhelming that I will gladly overlook the weaknesses.

I have read and loved everything the mother/son duo of Charles Todd has written, and I have followed this very long series for quite some time. Ian Rutledge is a wounded, shell-shocked WWI detective and veteran, haunted by the voice of a Scottish officer he has killed (and my 2nd book boyfriend). The character development is extraordinary. The writing spectacularly beautiful. There has been 15 books in this series so far, there will be more, and there are more still in Charles Todd's other series. I said I've read every one, and I will continue to do so as long as they continue cranking them out.

Without a doubt, one of my favorite authors.

A late Victorian series starring Lady Emily, left a very young widow after the death of her husband soon after their marriage. Book 1 of this series has the honor of being one of perhaps...4 books with a scene that left me sobbing desperately into my pillow. She grew from a young, naive, and sheltered young woman into one who pursues higher education, without losing a sense of her bright character. Also starring a very dreamy upper-class diplomat and detective. But Colin Hargreaves, while handsome, doesn't quite have that effect on me.

Another series that I absolutely love. Book 1 and 2 are poetic, beautiful, one of the rare few that I reread just for the writing alone. Book 4 was absolutely creepy. Book 3 was a dud for me, but you can't win them all. They can be standalones.

There are faults in this series, certainly, but for pure entertainment value, this series can't be beaten. I think Georgina might win over Charley Davidson.