re

Khanh the Killjoy

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone  - J.K. Rowling Prep School Confidential - Kara Taylor

30 Day Book Challenge, Day 9: A Book You Thought You Wouldn't Like, But Ended Up Loving

I KNOW. I KNOW, OK? I was 14 years old. I did not keep up with the New York Times bestseller list. I had only vaguely heard of the words "Harry Potter" and my world was my local library's children/YA paperback section. I was too busy reading my brain-candy R.L. Stine and Caroline B. Cooney and trashy teen horror movies and picking up random  historicals from the library to even think about such a thing as a "fantasy" genre. I picked up Harry Potter & The Sorcerer's Stone off my school library's brand spanking New Arrivals shelf, thought to myself: this looks like such a silly little kid's book.

And there was no looking back.

This is one of the more recent surprises. There aren't too many books I don't think I would like but end up loving, mainly because:

1. If a book sounds particularly bad, I will have a good idea that it's going to be terrible, and I would only read it out of curiosity and be proven right

2. I rarely start a book hoping to hate it

Prep School Confidential didn't seem like much, I wanted something fun, light, bitchy. When I think of the world of college prep schools, I get a good idea of the snooty, entitled people who go there, and I expected my narrator to be the same. I didn't expect that the author would actually write in a heroine who would be sensible, and rational, and likeable. I didn't expect the side characters to have so much depth, and I didn't expect to like the book as much as I did.