re

Khanh the Killjoy

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - J.K. Rowling King of Thorns - Mark  Lawrence In the Woods  - Tana French The Eternity Cure - Julie Kagawa

30 Day Book Challenge, Day Twelve: A Book That I Loved and Hated

My god, the angst. The beginning of this book made my jaw drop...mainly because Harry became a teenager. An angry, angst-filled teenager. I mean, I get it, I really do. I'd be pretty pissed off if my loved ones and friends were dying and Voldy was up and about, too. Life's shitty, I get it, but Harry had never been this depressed and ANGRY about it. I didn't hate it, but it was a rude shock to my system when little Harry grew up. It took awhile to get used to the series' darker turn.

I loved and hated the main character, and I severely questioned myself for actually liking the character, because man, I am a hypocrite. I have always hated abusers, rapists, assholes who get revenge and do horrible things in the name of vengeance...and here I am, actually sympathizing with the (truly despicable) main character in this novel. Prince Jorg is a motherfucking asshole. He's had it rough, because people have killed him, they've murdered his mother, they've tried to take away his birthright, and like a particularly loathsome phoenix, the very young Prince Jorg (who's far more cunning, if as much likeable as Prince Joffrey) somehow raises a ragtag band of rapists, murderers, and set out to pillage his way back to his throne. I loved this book, and yet I feel like I shouldn't have.

Here's the thing about Tana French's books. They're realistic. Devastatingly so. In real life, there are no convenient closures. There are no happy endings. Events, people, things are left dangling. I loved this book, and this series, but each is pretty much standalone, and there is no such thing as an ending, no such thing as closure, where it comes to the main characters. I am just dying to know what happens to my poor, beloved Rob, and I suspect I will never find out.

I didn't hate much about this book, but what I hated can be summed up in one word: Zeke. Zeke should really go die. He's completely useless. He is an albatross. It weakens our strong main character, a truly kick-ass heroine, to fall in love with such a pathetic little boy.